1/31/16

{What is your biggest regret?}

My biggest regret has always been not going to college after high school.  I got swept up in grown up life too soon.

When I graduated high school my family was homeless.  We weren't homeless because of my mother's inability to pay rent.  It was a lot more complicated than that.  We were basically put out on the street by our landlord.  The week of my graduation my family was staying at a motel type place on the Cape Cod Canal in Bourne.  But before that actual week were had all been separated.  There wasn't any one place we could all stay at big enough to keep us all.  My mom rented month by month cottage type places when she could and we stayed with Aunts and our Grandmother some.  But we were homeless a good portion of my senior year.  This made focusing on school difficult.  How do we pay for school when we don't even have a home?   What address do I put on my applications?

I know that the choices I made were not the right ones.  If I could go back and change one thing about decisions I have made in life it would be this one.  I chose to go off with my boyfriend at the time.  We lived in a tent for the summer.  We got married.  We got pregnant.  Then we got an apartment.  The rest is history.  There's no time for college when you have to survive on your own that young.  Well, I'm sure for some people there is, but not for me.  Not at that time.

I saw this video today on Facebook and it made me tear up. I'll let you watch it before I say anymore...




The whole time I was watching this I was thinking to myself.  Mine WOULD have been "Not going to college".  So I ask you what is your biggest regret? Does it start with "Not"? If so, what are you doing to fix it? I get some regrets are just in the past and not so much fixable. But a lot of them can be fixed.

 I am currently enrolled in school. I'm making a my regret a clean slate. It won't be the same. I won't get the same experience as I would have if I went when I was fresh out of high school. But it's something. Something I'm so proud of. I love showing my children that it's never too late to make your dreams a reality. Never.

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect post for the start to a new year. My biggest regret is going the medical intervention route to try and get pregnant rather than just focus on my health... For 2 years I took all the crazy fertility drugs, had the fertility treatments and intervention, but ignored my over all health in the process. Now that I'm done trying for at least the next couple of years, I've quite smoking, I drink less, I joined a gym and started packing lunch during the week. I don't know why it never dawned on me to do these things while I was trying to conceive to help boost my fertility. I guess it's never to late to make important changes because who knows what the future will hold.

    I think it's wonderful that you've decided to back to school because it's never too late! My mom started her college journey when I was in middle school and ended up going to grad school. She's the number one reason I continued on to earn my Masters. You have no idea how much this is going to inspire your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete